Why we are Your Final Stop
Our Fertility Clinic provides the most patient friendly environment. We know that your journey in search of a child has been strenuous that is why we make it our core business to ensure you succeed.
· You are warmly welcome to our Fertility Clinic which is made patient friendly. We are located on the outskirts of town and our serene offices save you the questioning looks from familiar faces in town.
· Our Fertility Specialist is one of the most gifted with a good sense of humor that makes your problems appear light. He is available 24/7 to answer your calls and address your concerns. Dr. Addison has such zealous and passionate devotion to your problems and will ensure no stones are left unturned to ensure a successful program of care for you.
- Patient evaluation is very thorough to ensure all potential causes of subfertility are identified and addressed appropriately.
- AMC Fertility Clinic has all modern methods of fertility treatment available which include:
- Expectant management with follicular tracking and timed intercourse (TI)
- Ovulation induction with or without Intra – Uterine Insemination (IUI), including Therapeutic Donor Sperm IUI
- In – Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Intra – Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
- Embryo Adoption
· You will find the lowest cost of treatment
· We have a well-considered care plan for even those non-resident in Kumasi since our client base covers any part of the world. We have private rooms that can accommodate you for short periods often without extra cost to you when necessary. Care plans can be customized according to your perculiar situations without necessarily compromising the quality of care with the aim of making your journey in search of a child less burdensome. For instance, for those coming from far and with good prior communication, all necessary initial consultation and couple evaluation can be completed on same day.
- Our IVF and IUI pregnancy rates now stand at an annual a rate of about 62.16% and 75% respectively. The rates were 36.1% and 46.7% respectively in 2016. Unbelievable? It is true.
1. Male Partner Investigations
a. Semen Analysis
We encourage male partners to produce semen for analysis on site in private rooms within the facility. Men who are uncomfortable doing so can do this within the comfort of their homes or near – by guest houses. Our embryologist will be at hand to process their samples provided they reach the hospital with an hour.
A normal result will suffice. Where abnormalities such as severe oligospermia or azoospermia are confirmed, appropriate hormonal assays will be carried out to ascertain the cause. When necessary, the services of very experienced urologists are readily available to evaluate the individual further.
2. Female Partner Investigations
a. Evaluation of Reproductive Anatomy
We routinely use trans-vaginal ultrasound to exclude abnormalities of female anatomy and the ovaries such as uterine fibroids, endometrial polyps, adenomyosis, diminished ovarian reserve, polycystic ovaries, ovarian cysts and endometriomas.
b. Evaluation of Ovulatory Function
We have a very well equipped laboratory for reliable hormonal assays for evaluation of ovulatory function such as mid – luteal progesterone, serum Day 2 – 5 serum FSH, LH and estradiol or prolactin and thyroid function tests (TSH with free T4).
c. Evaluation of Tubal Patency
We use Saline Infusion Sonohysterosalpingography (SIS) or Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to evaluate tubal patency in uncomplicated cases and laparoscopy to confirm suspected tubal abnormalities during SIS/HSG or for primary investigation of more complex cases e.g. when pelvic pathologies such as endometriosis or severe pelvic adhesions are suspected.
Cost of Treatment
Our charges are very modest and affordable for all classes of people. For IVF and ICSI, we have a single composite charge that covers all components of treatment up to pregnancy test. There are no hidden charges. Clients who do not succeed at first and second attempts are offered a whooping discount of 25% and 50% respectively. For subsequent treatments, most patients are only required to buy their medications. These offers are aimed at ensuring that most patients who enroll into our programs are encouraged to keep trying till they achieve their aims. We therefore have a very low patient drop – out rate.
Methods of Treatment Available
Our recommendations for treatment options are based on international best practice. Female partner age, duration of infertility and time to diminished ovarian reserve are very important determining factors.
With expectant management we advise couples to maintain normal and frequent coital activity without treatment. They may add detection of ovulation using commercial ovulation detection kits with timed intercourse. This options is only suitable for young couples (female partner age < 30 years) with duration of infertility < 2 years and a history of pregnancy in the same relationship and a diagnosis of unexplained infertility (thorough systematic evaluation of both partners with standard diagnostic tests such as semen analysis, evaluation of uterine cavity, tubal patency and ovulation fail to establish a known cause for the infertility).
Natural Cycle Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
Natural cycle IUI involves the introduction of washed and concentrated motile sperm into the uterine cavity and near the tubal ostia hours before or after ovulation to enable more sperm travel a shorter distance to reach the site of fertilization. It requires use of ovulation detection kits near the estimated time of ovulation or frequent visits to the hospital for tracking development of the follicles(that contain eggs) with scans and ovulation trigger or semen production.
It appears a more acceptable option of treatment compared to expectant management for couples with unexplained infertility and mild male factor infertility
Ovulation Induction with Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
Ovulation induction aims to cause release of eggs by anovulating women or increase the number of eggs released every month with the assumption that this increases the number of eggs available for fertilization or implantation, and by extension, the chance of pregnancy. It may be combined with IUI, especially in couples with normal sperm count and morphology (structure) but weak motility. Establishment of tubal patency and normal uterine cavity is a pre-requisite. The ovulation induction can be achieved with oral medications (e.g. clomiphene citrate, tamoxifen, letrozole, and metformin) or by injections (gonadotropins FSH or hMG)
This appears to increase the pregnancy rate per month among couples with unexplained infertility and mild male factor, especially when combined with IUI.
It is more expensive than expectant management or natural cycle IUI and also requires frequent scans for tracking development of follicles (that contain eggs) and ovulatory trigger as well as semen production for insemination.
However, many patients with unexplained infertility and mild male factor infertility are happier with this treatment than expectant management or natural cycle IUI because of its modest cost and good results
IN – VITRO FERTILIZATION (IVF)
IVF involves controlled ovarian hyperstimulation (COH) with gonadotropins, oocyte collection, attempts at fertilization in the lab and transfer of the resultant embryo into the endometrium. This method eliminates potential causes of infertility such as problems related to ovarian dysfunction, cervical factors, sperm and egg transport, sperm – egg binding, fertilization and early embryo development whiles mostly ultrasound guided embryo transfer ensures that embryos are properly placed in the uterine cavity. In some cases, failure of fertilization may be overcome with intra – cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI). Even when good fertilization and early embryo development are achieved, clinical pregnancy may not follow as a result of many more unknown causes such as abnormalities of chromosome or endometrial receptivity.
IVF is more effective than ovulation induction and IUI especially for couples who have had previous unsuccessful treatments with other methods. Pregnancy rate per cycle in our center is 35 – 62%. For this reason, it is recommendation to proceed to IVF after 3 – 4 unsuccessful cycles of clomiphene or gonadotropin ovulation induction with IUI. This success rate is dependent on many factors especially female partner age
One of the major challenges with In – Viro Fertilization (IVF) and Intra – Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) and Embry – Transfer is multiple pregnancy (twins, triplets, quadruplets). These often end with pre – term delivery. At Aninwaa Medical Centre IVF unit, we have a very well dedicated staff of Paediatricians, Medical Officers and Nurses who understand very well the emotional demands on parents who have delivered pre – term such multiples of babies. Out of their dedication, we boast of a very high take home baby rate for such babies. We take strict measures to avoid such occurrences but when they do occur, we leave no stone unturned to ensure you go home with your babies.